Book Talk: Participation Beyond Philanthropy

Speaking Event with Hannah Paterson: What does participatory funding look like beyond philanthropy? Many foundations give away around 5% of their endowment each year – but what about the other 95%? As mission-related investing is on the rise, a growing number of foundations are practicing “participatory investing.”

Book Talk with Capita

Capita: A conversation with Ben Wrobel and Meg Massey as they tell the story of a growing reform movement inside philanthropy and impact investing – and a debate about power that has the potential to shape the way we fund activists and social entrepreneurs for years to come.

Giving Thought Podcast: Participatory Grantmaking

June 1st Podcast: Meg Massey and Hannah Peterson dicuss participatory approaches in philanthropy and social investment on Giving Thought, a bi-weekly exploration of trends in global philanthropy and civil society from the Charities Aid Foundation’s in-house think-tank.

How Philanthropists and Impact Investors Can Do More Good – By Giving Up Control

Pioneers Post: Participatory funding puts decisions into the hands of those most affected by the money. It’s a massive shift – but one that could make philanthropy and impact investing more open, transparent and community-driven.

Boston’s Ujima Fund demonstrates the (investment) power of neighborhood democracy

Impact Alpha: Boston residents from the working class neighborhoods of Dorchester, Roxbury and Mattapan have met in person to plan for the future of investment in their neighborhoods.

How Investors are Giving Up Control to Democratize Finance

Impact Alpha: The idea of democratizing investment has a long intellectual history, but it is starting to enter mainstream financial discourse.

Outsiders get the bulk of venture capital in Africa. Peer-selection can change the game.

Impact Alpha: Peer selection can help redirect investment in Africa towards African inventors and entrepreneurs.

Philanthropy and the Zen of Participation

Nonprofit Quarterly:  The issue of diversity (who is in the room) only addresses one part of the equation. The other part is accountability, or how the people in that room consult with those outside it.

“Letting Go.” A New Book Explores the Promise of Participatory Grantmaking

Inside Philanthropy: Recent events have sparked renewed interest in methods of participatory grantmaking, which place funding decisions in the hands of community members. 

Doing More by Doing Less: A Call to Rethink Philanthropy

Nonprofit Quarterly: What if we shifted decision-making power away from supposedly expert grantmakers and investors?